Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

Read this book by Jimmy Ballard?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 golfbuddy

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

Have you read his book "How to Perfect Your Golf Swing" ?  It is out of print and some copies are going as high as $200+ !! Was wondering what is so special about this book. :confused:

#2 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:11 PM

this is the best golf book i have ever read.  watch tiger and  you will see the jimmy ballard swing which is just an old swing brought back from the grave. all the teacher are now teaching a variation of the type of swing.

#3 mbradley

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:54 PM

The book is very detailed in presenting every aspect of Ballard's view of the golf swing. Very heavy on useful illustrations. Ballard explains how he derived his swing philosophy. The swing is broken down into positions similair to Jim Mclean's method, but much more detailed. I have read at leaset 100 books on the golf swing and this one and one other are the ones I keep going back to. Easily one of the best golf instructional books ever!

#4 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:56 AM

what is the other book you keep going back to?

#5 jackamo

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:02 PM

Jimmy Ballard  is the best teaching pro around I have all of his books and tapes! :D 4 more left!

Everything will be all right!

#6 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

i believe ballard has only one book. unless there is one i don't know about.

#7 upndown459

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

Originally posted by jerry1967 i believe ballard has only one book. unless there is one i don't know about.
Ballard did one mass retail book and one mass retail video.  I see multiple copies of the book all the time at Half Price Books and Records in Dallas for $6.   If there are any nuts out there willing to pay $200 for it on ebay, then maybe I should be hording copies of the book and reselling them. :eek:

#8 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

ballard has two videos that i know about and there might be another one. he was the first teacher that came out with a video about golf instructions.

#9 upndown459

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:27 PM

What was the name of the second one?  According to Ballard, the only mass market video he's ever made is The Fundamental Golf Swing, which he said was released in 1989.

#10 CT golf fan

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationHouston area, Texas

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:59 PM

According to eBay, those prices stated above look to be true... http://search.ebay.com/jimmy-ballard_Books_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacategoryZ267Q26catrefQ3DC6QQsotrZ2QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsosortorderZ1

2007 GO Masters Pool winner!

"Every day you miss practicing, it will take one day longer to get good."  -Ben Hogan

#11 threeputt1320188007

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

Ballard is tops. If You  look at Leadbetter, McLean and others they all use the "connection" principle 3 putt
[size=99px][

#12 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

the first video jimmy ballard made is titled "The Jimmy Ballard Golf Connection". i have a copy of it that i watch all the time. it is the first golf instruction video made.

#13 upndown459

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 04:18 PM

That was never released on the mass market through distributors across the country. But it was used as a framework for his Fundamentals video later on. You should hold onto that one. It will have significant value someday as there were less 200 copies made of that video, unless you're referring to the edited version he used to pass out at the end of his swing schools back in the late 70's/early 80's

#14 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

i bought this through the mail  and i paid 150.  for it. how do i find out if it is worth anything? i believe i bought it through a add that was in golf world. the add said the video was used at colleges,  i believe. this version has two parts,in part one he explains his connection theory and part two his assistant hits some shots and they talk about the short game. these are two separate tapes.

#15 BiLumpy

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:36 PM

I have a hard back copy, well used with no cover. I can't believe the prices for this thing. I could part with it for a Scotty Cameron Newport Stainless or some such thing. I might offer it in the Swap Shop.

Bill Spellman

#16 Ripper2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:48 AM

I have the paperback, and it's excellent but I'd sure be happy to sell if anyone offered $150!

#17 golfbuddy

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

Searched the web and found a hardbound copy for $50.  Did not have a cover but the pages are in perfect shape with no marks at all.  Did not want to spend  $30+ for the paperback version in so-so condition.  Those guys asking $200+ are still out there. :confused:

#18 mbradley

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

Originally posted by jerry1967 what is the other book you keep going back to?
Leslie King, the guy that taught Julie Inkster for a while, has a very informative book heavy on illiustrations. While some of his ideas are different from Ballard, some are remarkably similar. However, they do represent two completely different views of the golf swing.

#19 mbradley

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:03 PM

Originally posted by jerry1967 the first video jimmy ballard made is titled "The Jimmy Ballard Golf Connection". i have a copy of it that i watch all the time. it is the first golf instruction video made.
I have this tape also. I bought it at a Pro shop. It is a tape of a lecture-lesson Ballard gave. It clearly is the forerunner of the more professionally produced 2nd tape.

#20 jerry1967

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

is this tape worth anything?

#21 mbradley

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:47 AM

Any Jimmy Ballard tape is worth something. Even if you have the 2nd tape that is more professionnally produced, the first tape will serve you well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users