Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

Jim McLellan's Golf Videos

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tuslog59

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Any thoughts ? Thanks,   Rodger

#2 threeputt1320188007

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

Super get them all watch them all read all his books because he doesnt use a single template for each and everyone but a method with some bandwith Just great threeputt
[size=99px][

#3 supermariodave

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:59 PM

I have his DVD on Hogan,its great,just to watch Hogan,and he does break his swing down very well,its my fave golf dvd tbh

#4 drake10

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe you guys are referring to Jim Mclean. The original poster was asking about this fellow: http://www.mcgolf.com

#5 supermariodave

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

apologies!  yes,I was waffling about McClean

#6 GolfTragic

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

I downloaded the video last week and watched the first 6 steps last night.  I could see myself in the "death moves" for step 5.  I just love the way you can concentrate on one step at a time.  I rushed out for a 9 hole practice session this morning and was amazed at how much better I was striking the ball.  Unfortunately I was too long on most of my mid and short irons and missed targets.  All my compensating moves also came home to haunt me, so I was offline as well on the long stuff. I’ll view steps 7 & 8 now and then start over before tomorrows round.  I’m traditionally a slow learner.  I do like the look of this “no perfect swing” model and the drills fit the steps nicely.  IMHGO.
I envy people who drink.  At least they have something to blame everything on.   

#7 mantan34

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

It it's about Jim from mcgolf.com, I can offer my experience with him. Jim is a very nice man (I actually talked to him on the phone) and has some very strong opinions about the quality (or lack thereof) of golf instruction. His videos are entertaining (in a corny sort of way) and focus on his 3 'secrets' to ballstriking.   IMVHO, this series works if the things you struggle with are the three things he addresses. I think the challenge with Jim's approach is that there a lot of little things he leaves out that many golfers don't realize that they are doing.   For example, one of Jim's biggest items is the stable head (or hat as he calls it).   This works great if the lower base of the swing stays stable, you would effectively coil around your torso.   What I didn't realize until later is one of my biggest swing flaws was my hip sway.   Keeping my head still resulted in horrific reverse pivot.   But boy was my head staying still!  Of course Jim doesn't have this in his swing because his lower base is very stable. I could only recommend this video for someone who is truly a visual learner and wants to see and follow someone how has a simple effective swing.   They should have access to their own video equipment/or mirror to ensure ALL parts of their swing are emulating Jim. Looking back there were a lot better options to spend my $$.

#8 Johnny

GO Advanced Members

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts
  • LocationAnywhere except BSG

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Tuslog59 Any thoughts ? Thanks,   Rodger
Yeah, we must remember that there is almost nothing to learn by watching a pro or even ourselves make a golf swing.  That because it is impossible to  "reverse engineer" the golf swing from looking at either our own or the swing videos of champions, etc.    We can see and correctly identify the faults, the dynamic differences between theirs and ours, but we cannot make direct changes-and to try usually destroys a fairly functional swing.   We focus on trivia at the expense of what is important-- the overall swing.   Many good players, Hale Irwin, etc. refuse to look at themselves on video.   After the first few feet of the takeway, the golf swing occurs in "automatic,' we are helpless to change how the remainder of the backswing or the downswing happens--except to go back to grip, setup, takeaway, and mental plan. We can see in a mirror or the video whether we grip and setup are correct.   And of course we can match the pros in grip, setup, and body and club position and the first few feet of takeaway.   A teaching pro can help you get those fundamentals correct.   You can just look down or at yourself in a mirror to see whether your grip and setup stance are correct.   You can check your position after the first few feet of takeaway--when the club is horizontal and you have made a good pivot turn.  The club should be outside a line over your toes, the shaft should be aligned with the target, and the toe of the club should be pointing up. Your shoulders should be almost fully turned, your hands still in front of your chest, your arms "connected." But most importantly, we can adopt a successful goal, our vision of what we intend to do.   That is not visible on a video clip, but the results of the mental goal, focus on target, is very definitely evident.  The mental focus makes FAR more difference than all the physical stuff combined.   It will overcome a dozen technical faults.   We should not concentration on the ball  because that will certainly cause us to decelerate--and fail to propel the ball accurately to the target.  We should focus on the target and plan to swing the clubhead in a circle around ourselves, and especially to continue that circle AFTER the ball position, making a smooth follow-through all the way to our shoulder. That focus on target and plan to make the clubhead continue the circle will prevent deceleration and help you make a very nice swing- that will propel the ball to the target. You will be doing mentally what the pros do. Nobody ever became a decent golfer by concentrating on components of the golf swing itself. Every successful player will say that.   McClane knows that very well--and should be ashamed-- and he is (all the way to the bank!).  He found his nitch and is commercially exploiting it-- but don't be taken in-- it doesn't work.  You can't learn to play golf watching videos.   Read "Understanding the Golf Swing" by Manuel De La Torre.  He teaches what all the best touring pros actually do every day, every swing.   Larry
Tour SC PP NAPA 34" 340g

#9 kvan123

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Larry, Larry, Larry, Do you cut and paste your commentary? I have no idea what or why you are saying things like this consistently throughout your responses. I respect your opinion however you make if difficult to trust your motives based on your pertinacity of any training method preached other than you own?? Quote "Nobody ever became a decent golfer by concentrating on components of the golf swing itself. Every successful player will say that. McClane knows that very well--and should be ashamed-- and he is (all the way to the bank!). He found his nitch and is commercially exploiting it-- but don't be taken in-- it doesn't work. You can't learn to play golf watching videos." I am a very visual learner and have used video to successfully help me. One on my best swing thoughts is of Goosen's swing because I want to image that swing. By the way, I'm a 6 hcp from a 4 earlier this year (only due to lack of time to play) so yes, I consider myself a decent golfer. Everyone learns at different levels, there really is no right or wrong with how people learn to play the game. If video's have helped anyone, then that's great!
PING Rapture 9 deg VS Proto s
Nike SQ 15 Nike Diamana s
PING Rapture HB 18 VS Proto 80s
PING S58 4-W Rifle 5.5
PING MB Tour 52, 56, 60 Black Nickel
SC Mil-Spec Newport 2
PING Hoofer Xtreme Navy/Red USA bag

#10 jimmygolfer

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

I thought Nick Faldo did ok after he re-vamped his golf swing, as did Nick Price, Olin Browne, Scott McCarron, and numerous other pros.

jimmygolfer

#11 GolfTragic

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:35 PM

I finished watching the rest of the McLean videos and learned more about what not to do from the ‘death moves’.  I didn't get too much improvement in my swing other than from step 1- first couple of feet takeaway drill. So I went to my local Pro last weekend and paid $42 for a 1/2 hour lesson (which turned out to be 1 1/2 hours).  I've had three rounds since then and have been drawing the ball and overshooting greens and through fairways just from the simple swing plane drills we went through.  He wasn't the least bit interested in my "technique". Only that I had a good swing path into the ball and timed my "hand release" to the point of impact.  He didn’t care how I got my hands to the top of the back swing.  I make great practice swings so I’m convinced that ignoring the fact that you have to hit a ball is the answer ;) .  His message- "You have to make a great swing on the path that the ball is on".  So in this respect he was agreeing somewhat with LarryRSF.   He knew that I knew what I was supposed to do but was doing the "wrong" practice drills and reinforcing all the wrong moves.  I spent the entire afternoon practicing only one move down from the back swing and hand release into the ball (mostly into an impact bag).  I would have hit only one ball per 5 or 6 practice swings (he wouldn't put a ball down until I made several 'good' swings in a row).   By the end of the day I was worn out and exhilarated. I'm not saying I have found the 'answer' to all my golfing woes or that I'm hitting every ball perfectly, but those I do are much better than where I've come from. This is the best golf investment I have ever made.  I won't be watching anymore golf video's or taking tips from anyone other than a teaching pro.   I have made a permanent booking for one lesson/session a month for ever…and practice, practice, practice!
I envy people who drink.  At least they have something to blame everything on.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users