Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

Simple: Will Phil make the cut @ the Masters?

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

#1 hpaulcarr

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

Yes or no..... I say maybe?

#2 Rory

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

gawd, ya think? top ten easilly.
www.indacupgolf.com

#3 brannyxx

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

phil will make cut , but will not challenge.
HKGA H'cap: 7.4

Driver - **Just Arrived : Nike SQ TOUR 9.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Blue Board 83grams X Flex D4sw, 44.75inches.  GP Dual Durometer Cord 53grams.
3W - *NEW* Titleist 906H2 15* - X100 42.5in
3I-PW - Callaway X-18 Pro Series DGSS X-100 (minus 1 inch)
Wedges: 52* NIKE SV
56* **N

#4 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yes
R11 - 10.5* - Open - Dromos S
R11 - 15.5* - Neutral - Dromos S
R11 - 18.5* - Neutral - RIP S
R11 - 25.5* - Open - RIP S
S56 - 5-9 Iron - Blue Dot - S300
Vokey SM CC - 48/52 (S300) - 56/60 (S200)
Ping Pickemup L 48"

#5 brad690

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:28 PM

Im going say he blows up on second day and misses the cut... Mike Weir makes the cut by a shot!!

Titleist 905R 9.5 Blue Matte
Sonartec SS07 14* X100
Sonartec SS07 19* X100
Miura CB-201's 3-PW X100
Cleveland 588 CG10 54
Cleveland 588 TSC 60
Ping Anser 2
Ogio Grom Bag
Titleist PRO V1X Ball
[/siz

#6 Ramsey_steve

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:27 AM

Yes. Only risk is over-confidence after last weekend.
The bag for this month at least:
Callaway FT-5 Tour 10.5* Reg Flex
Callaway X 3 Wood, 15* reg flex
Srixon Hybrids: 3/18, 5/24 Nippon 950 reg flex
Callaway FT 5-SW, Nippon 1100 Uniflex
Titleist 33/350 Bullseye
USGA index 16.3

#7 kybra69

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:00 AM

yep easily and contends on sunday

#8 Johnny

GO Advanced Members

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts
  • LocationAnywhere except BSG

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

Yes and a Green Jacket on Sunday!
Tour SC PP NAPA 34" 340g

#9 hpaulcarr

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:21 AM

He blows up the first or second day. I can almost see his face now.... (I hate to say stuff like that, my badd)

#10 DrGreen

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

Makes the cut ............ ends up around 16th

#11 Johnny

GO Advanced Members

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts
  • LocationAnywhere except BSG

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

Originally posted by hpaulcarr He blows up the first or second day. I can almost see his face now.... (I hate to say stuff like that, my badd)
I see where this thread is going. Hate Phil thread
Tour SC PP NAPA 34" 340g

#12 rbarter

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:14 AM

He will take an 11 on 12 on Friday and MC. :stoopid

#13 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:45 AM

Oh ... I think he'll make the cut .. but don't know if he'll really challenge. I'm looking for David Toms to be up there ... I give him a good chance to win.
" If you enjoy it, it's entertainment, If you play it , it's recreation, If you work at it, it's Golf "  ( Bob Hope )

#14 grabby

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationUSAFA grad in the Baltimore area

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

Any of the 'miss the cut' guys want to put a little ca$h on that? That will show if there are serious doubters vs. people jawing off... Did anyone watch what he did last week? 89% GIR. Sugarloaf is not Augusta National, of course. But we're talking about a guy who has one MC (1997) and has finished T12, T6, T7, 3, 3, 1, 10 in the past 7 years. So, besides hating Phil, on what are you 'MC' guys basing your opinions?
'the pond would be good for you - natural spring.'

Driver - Callaway FT-3 Neutral with VS Proto 65 S
Titleist 904f w/ V2 Stiff
PRGR Zoom 200i 18 degree with stock X
Adams Pro Idea 3I w/VS Proto X
4-9 - Cleveland CG2 w/ S300
48, 54, 60 - Titleist Vokey
Gauge Design J-Spec Proto
Nike One Platinum

#15 KennyLee

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationLone Star State

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

Well, since you've got to go back to the '99 British since he's missed the cut in a major.......AND he hasn't missed the cut at Augusta since '97......AND his last 8 finishes since then at The Masters are 10th, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, T-7th, T-6th, T-12th....AND he dusted the field by 13 shots last week in the most dominant performance on tour since Tiger's US Open at Pebble.....I like his chances to make the cut.....as much as some of his haters would like to see him go home early.....:rolleyes: I'm with grabby......any of the detractors want to put your money (or a box of balls, set of irons, new golf cart I've been wanting.....;) )where your mouth is.....count me in.

Callaway BB 454 10* NV-65
Callaway BB 2004 17* 4 wood NV-65
Callaway BB 2004 21* 7 wood NV-65
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro 4-EW TT DG-SL S300
Titleist Vokey Raw 52.08
Titleist Vokey Raw 56.12
Titleist Vokey Oil Can 60.06
Ping G2 Tess blade 34"

#16 Jim Clark

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

Phil will win this Masters. Jim

#17 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

Sometimes performances like his at the Bellsouth can mean a player has peaked too soon..altough prior to that, he was struggling quite a bit with his swing...hard to believe he turned it all around in one tournament. I don't see him winning...he will make the cut  and be in contention on day 1 and 2. he had a great performance last week. Tons of birdies and great driving of the ball with his two driver combo...whatever it is...I am thoroughly looking forward to the Masters. I can hardly wait.. By the way. I am watching range sessions on Masters. Org.  Awesome...:) stay away guys..don't want a bandwidth clog up;)
"If you step on a pile of poop, wash your feet and keep on walking. You don’t cut them off."

#18 djbates

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

Will make the cut easily, but don't see him winning for some reason.  Looking for someone new this year.  Maybe Luke Donald or Ernie Els.  If TW is leading after first day, I think he wins, if not, could be wide open kinda like the Players.  I don't see anyone coming from way back in the pack this year.  Will be someone on the first page of the leaderboard after day one.  That's my opinion.

#19 Golfalot1320185736

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

Originally posted by skinkman Sometimes performances like his at the Bellsouth can mean a player has peaked too soon..altough prior to that, he was struggling quite a bit with his swing...hard to believe he turned it all around in one tournament. I don't see him winning...he will make the cut  and be in contention on day 1 and 2. he had a great performance last week. Tons of birdies and great driving of the ball with his two driver combo...whatever it is...I am thoroughly looking forward to the Masters. I can hardly wait.. By the way. I am watching range sessions on Masters. Org.  Awesome...:) stay away guys..don't want a bandwidth clog up;)
I'd be first in line to say that he peaked a week too early.............but, when he gets on a role it sometimes goes more than a week..............last year he won two or three in a row out west.
Dyin' ain't much of livin', boy...
What's your GolfOpinion?
Because EVERY Golfer Has One.

#20 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

I'd be first in line to say that he peaked a week too early.............but, when he gets on a role it sometimes goes more than a week..............last year he won two or three in a row out west.
true...but he was winning without the big guys in the field. He hooked up with one at Doral with a 2 shot lead.;) He did win the PGA though...Gotta say, he really has turned his major performances around...if only he had listened to all the words of wisdom about not being overly aggressive at the majors..probably would have had 4 by now...

"If you step on a pile of poop, wash your feet and keep on walking. You don’t cut them off."

#21 geoangus

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Golfalot I'd be first in line to say that he peaked a week too early.............but, when he gets on a role it sometimes goes more than a week..............last year he won two or three in a row out west.
my thoughts exactly - I'm hoping to see the expression on Tiger's face when he puts the jacket on Phil.
Titleist 910D3 10.5* Aldila RIP 60 Stiff
Titleist 910F 15* Diamana MFT Kai'li 75 Stiff
Titleist 910H 19* Diamana MFT ilima Stiff
Titleist 910H 21* Diamana MFT Kai'li 80 Reg
Titleist 712 AP2 5-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome Wedges, 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold S300
Cameron California Fastback
Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 14-Way Stand Bag
Sun Mountain Speedcart

#22 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

my thoughts exactly - I'm hoping to see the expression on Tiger's face when he puts the jacket on Phil.
that's why Phil can't win;)

#23 CT golf fan

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationHouston area, Texas

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

Phil 1, Tiger 2, in an instant classic dual on the back 9 on Sunday. :D
2007 GO Masters Pool winner!

"Every day you miss practicing, it will take one day longer to get good."  -Ben Hogan

#24 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

Phil 1, Tiger 2, in an instant classic dual on the back 9 on Sunday.
Instant classic... Tiger 1, Phil 2...Tiger wins by 15;)

#25 Golfalot1320185736

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

15 huh...........Now that's a bet I'd give you some really good odds on. Phil is a VERY talented player, his problem is that he's a "thrill junkie" and looks at most difficult shots as a challenge that he simply can't walk away from. He seldom takes the "safe path" and plays percentages.  If he had the self discipline that Woods exhibits in his thinking and course management.............then the rivalry would be something to behold.

Dyin' ain't much of livin', boy...
What's your GolfOpinion?
Because EVERY Golfer Has One.

#26 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

15 huh...........Now that's a bet I'd give you some really good odds on.
I don't even think the new Augusta makes this possible. He did win by 15 at a US Open once....and 12 at Augusta.. He has done it before. I won't be surprised though if the scores at Augusta are more like the US Open...-9 wins. Phil is less of a thrill seeker these days...hence his two majors. Cut it in play and made a few putts here and there...with age comes wisdom...sometimes. Tiger can also be ultra aggressive..and that gets him into trouble too..Not the foolhardy of old Phil, but stubborn aggression....two days to go...can hardly wait. I think the premium this year is on iron play...of course putting too

#27 Jim Clark

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

Have to agree with skink, Phil has improved his course management dramatically. He's learned to take his medicine and lay up or play to the middle of the green when necessary. He's also added significantly to his short game arsenal. He can still play the flop shot better than anyone but he's mixing it up a lot more depending on what's needed. He's firing on all cylinders right now, there are no weaknesses in his game. I believe Phil is definitely the favorite this week. Jim

#28 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

He's firing on all cylinders right now, there are no weaknesses in his game. I believe Phil is definitely the favorite this week.
by playing so well last week, he has made himself the target. The big dogs won't let him get away;)

#29 Jim Clark

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

Originally posted by skinkman by playing so well last week, he has made himself the target. The big dogs won't let him get away;)
Target and favorite...or...favorite target. It's stroke play, each guy against himself and the course. If they concentrate on what Phil's doing rather than staying in the present and playing their own game one shot at a time, they lose. Jim

#30 hackdaddy

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

I liked Phil's own quote when asked how confident he felt after the big Bellsouth win, he replied "more confident than if I missed the cut." That's about what it means, he's playing pretty well. That's better than playing badly but he seems to know it's not a big deal.

A word to the wise is not required, it's stupid people that need advice.
If two people agree all of the time one of them is unnecessary. [/siz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users