Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

How Are Your Pro-Ams Set Up?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 homosap

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

Last Friday I played in a pro-am that had me questioning how they are set up and run and I just wanted to get some comparisons. I live, and play my golf, in the county of Hampshire in England. The Hampshire PGA runs a series of pro-ams through the year in the following format:- Teams of four consisting of 3 amateurs and one pro Scoring is in medal format with the pro's score fully recorded and the team score being the best 2 net scores per hole(pro's score included). All players play from the back tees. Handicap allowance is at 3/4 Prices range from $90-$180 per man So these are local pro's and their assistants that play and the whole format is really there to provide them with competition and some potential extra income. What got us thinking was, surprisingly, the good weather, this being the 4th time I had played this event but the first without rain. The course is high up and pretty exposed so wind is always a factor but we had all been looking forward to a dry round. Not anymore, the course had been lengthened, the pins were really tough and the greens were rock hard. Now I know it is the same for all of us but, when my pro can't stop a sand wedge what chance do us amateurs have? Oh, and the rough, think Carnoustie and you wouldn't be wrong, the first cut was about three yards then it ranged from just above knee high to waist high.Nearly all the pro's were over par and 25% of then failed to break 80. We came off the course demoralised, glad to finish and wondering whether we would bother again. This is for something where I have taken a day off work and spent money to supposedly take part in my hobby. So the questions we were asking were:- should we play off the same tees? should we lose 25% of our shots? should the course be set up to protect par against the pro's or more favourably for the amateurs who make up 75% of the field and are paying for the event? as our handicaps are based on normally set up courses should we actually get more shots, in slope system style, rather than actually lose some? I'd be interested to hear your tales and opinions in relation to this.....thanks.....Al

Al 

#2 homosap

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

helloooooo is there anyone out there??????????????????????
Al 

#3 chilton00

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationVan Vleck Texas

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

I think most of the Pro-Ams played on this side of the pond are Wednesdays of a PGA tourney when the players pony up around 5 thousand to beat it around with a tour player.  This might be why you didn't get an answer to your post.  In my area the majority of the tourneys are set up as benifit/fundraiser for charities or whatever.   As far as taking off work, at least you got to do that!  A bad day of golf always beats any day at work right?   The conditions are another story altogether.  Some of the little Bar-B-Que- tourneys I play in around here feel they have to trick up their little 9 hole course to make it as tough as possible.  All this does is slow down the round of golf.  I love it when a course knows enough about golf to set up the course to play challenging AND fair, not so that the lucky shot is the best shot.  One thing you did learn however is that even the Pro's struggled so that should make you feel better about your game.   J
R7 460 tour 9.5*
Talor MAde 15* V-Steel
Nike 24* hybrid MFS 85 HB
R7 TP Project X 6.0 4-PW
Taylor Made R.A.C. TP black 52*, 56*
Taylor Made Imola 8 33"

<a href="mailto:jdwilson@warpspeed1.net">jdwilson@warpspeed1.net</a>

#4 homosap

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:02 AM

Originally posted by chilton00 I think most of the Pro-Ams played on this side of the pond are Wednesdays of a PGA tourney when the players pony up around 5 thousand to beat it around with a tour player.  This might be why you didn't get an answer to your post.  In my area the majority of the tourneys are set up as benifit/fundraiser for charities or whatever.   As far as taking off work, at least you got to do that!  A bad day of golf always beats any day at work right?   The conditions are another story altogether.  Some of the little Bar-B-Que- tourneys I play in around here feel they have to trick up their little 9 hole course to make it as tough as possible.  All this does is slow down the round of golf.  I love it when a course knows enough about golf to set up the course to play challenging AND fair, not so that the lucky shot is the best shot.  One thing you did learn however is that even the Pro's struggled so that should make you feel better about your game.   J
Take your points but, to be fair, I didn't feel too bad about my game, I played some good golf. My gross was better than our pro on the front and another guy was better than him on the back(both of us over our handicaps though). So our pro had a pretty bad day but this did include a couple of horrendous results from shots that looked good all the way. He had a well struck 9 iron, landed near the front of a green but caught a really hard downslope. Result, lost ball 10 yards over the back of the green and a walk back to play another. For me that sort of thing was too harsh a test to set local pros and assistants and definitely way beyond us amateurs. I've always thought that rough can be penal without needing to be 'wade' through stuff that nearly guarantees a lost ball. I found one of my tee shots in this stuff, then walked over to my trolley, 9 yards away, on the fairway. Foolishly I hadn't marked the spot and it took me another 2 minutes to find it again even though I knew the location within a couple of feet.
Al 

#5 SnowDale

I love this game!

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

I recently played in the Monday Pro-Am at the Shell Houston Open.  Luckily, I won a spot in it, because it normally costs $3250 to play.   The format was that there were 4 amateurs and the pro.  The pro played the tournament tees, the amateurs played the white tees that were really moved forward.  The amatuers got 100% of their handicap, and we needed one best ball from the 5 of us.  Par was the highest score we could take.  The winning score was 16 under par.  We shot about 10 under.   It was fun playing the course under tournament conditions.  Those greens messed up my putting stroke for a while.

Ping Anser 10.5*, Ahina shaft
Ping Anser 3 wood, 14.5*, Ahina shaft
Ping Anser 5 wood, 18.5*, Ahina shaft
Callaway Razr Tour 4 hybrid, Motore F3 stiff
Ping G15 5-W, Nippon 950GH shaft
Ping Tour W, 50, 54, 62, Nippon 950GH shaft
Odyssey Versa 1 Wide (W/B/W)
Lamkin Tour White Cord grips
Bridgestone B330RX Yellow

#6 homosap

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:26 AM

Originally posted by SnowDale I recently played in the Monday Pro-Am at the Shell Houston Open.  Luckily, I won a spot in it, because it normally costs $3250 to play.   The format was that there were 4 amateurs and the pro.  The pro played the tournament tees, the amateurs played the white tees that were really moved forward.  The amatuers got 100% of their handicap, and we needed one best ball from the 5 of us.  Par was the highest score we could take.  The winning score was 16 under par.  We shot about 10 under.   It was fun playing the course under tournament conditions.  Those greens messed up my putting stroke for a while.
Snowdale, fantastic result for you it must have been great, question though. Would it still have been as enjoyable/playable if you'd been off the back tees with the pro? I know what you mean re the greens, I don't mind quick as a challenge but I'm forever making that cardinal sin of hitting the wrong bit of the green. By the end I can be scared to move the putter on yet another downhill breaker:D
Al 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users