Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

Possible Move (FL and TN)

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'm looking at a possibility of selling my business and moving to either Knoxville, TN or the Orlando (Kississimme-sp?) area. Currently, I'm a member at a semi-private that runs me $4k annually (family) and I get free range, free golf (if I walk) and free cart at 1 of the 3 courses. Now, I know I may not find that, but I'd like something similar (at least the golf and range) for a set fee. What are some courses (challenging would be nice..."good" courses would be nice) in those areas? I'm sure we've got some members here in those areas. Thanks for the heads up. -mini PS How's the school systems down der?

R11 - 10.5* - Open - Dromos S
R11 - 15.5* - Neutral - Dromos S
R11 - 18.5* - Neutral - RIP S
R11 - 25.5* - Open - RIP S
S56 - 5-9 Iron - Blue Dot - S300
Vokey SM CC - 48/52 (S300) - 56/60 (S200)
Ping Pickemup L 48"

#2 Reid

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

Maybe there are other considerations that are driving the decision, but why Knoxville?  I was born and spent most of my younger years in Tennessee, mainly in Nashville.  Nashville is a very nice town that has a lot of the amenities of some of the larger cities I've lived in (LA, Chicago, Philly) without so much of the hassle, except for interstate construction.  Doesn't have quite the selection of golf courses as the Orlando area, but there are some good private options.   I've only been to Knoxville a few times.  It's a good sized metro area, still anchored in many ways by Oak Ridge.  I believe it's a requirement to be a UT fan to reside there, and it's a long drive to Nashville for the Titans games.   But....you can get to the NC sand hills fairly quickly.

#3 MarkCPA

GO Advanced Members

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationCollierville, Tennessee

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Reid But....you can get to the NC sand hills fairly quickly.
I'm on the wrong end of the state (near Memphis, TN) to be of any help as well, but I concur you can get to some really good golf in Carolina from Knoxville in just a short drive.   You better like the color orange if you plan on living in Knoxville.
Titleist 910D2 10.5* - Fuji Motore F3 stiff
Titleist 913F 15* - Diamana S+ stiff
Titleist 913H 19* - Diamana S+ stiff
Titleist AP1 irons, 4-PW - DG XP300 shafts
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 58*
Ping Anser 2 TR 33" putter
Wilson Staff FG Tour golf ball

#4 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

TN is a great place to move too !!!               :cool:
" If you enjoy it, it's entertainment, If you play it , it's recreation, If you work at it, it's Golf "  ( Bob Hope )

#5 Jim Clark

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

NoPro? Still trying to keep FL to yourself? ;)  Too late, too many of us know about it. So many of us will be moving there in the next 20 years that the whole state will sink. TN and FL are pretty different choices. There is "some" winter in TN but certainly more winter golf than Ohio. FL, especially southern FL, is golf year round in shorts (except a few days). FL will be hot as blazes in summer, but TN will get real hot as well. Here's what to do. Buy a good size boat and follow the sun. New England area in summer, mid-atlantic in spring and fall, and FL in winter.

#6 golfschnell

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

Having lived both places for about 2 years each, I preferred Knoxville to Orlando.  The diversity of golf in Orlando is much better and generally more expensive.  The cost of living, crime, and general beauty of the area definately goes to Knoxville.  I became a Vols fan and enjoyed going to games very much having gone to brain schools where football programs were not as good as my high school team.  Very inexpensive place to live if you are younger with a family.

#7 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

Looks like the job may be leaning more towards the Kissimmee(Orlando) area than Knoxville. It's all about where the job goes and where I can sell the company to. -mini
Ping Pickemup L 48"

#8 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hey ....  come on down .....! I'm sure the radiation levels will be at an acceptable level by then.
" If you enjoy it, it's entertainment, If you play it , it's recreation, If you work at it, it's Golf "  ( Bob Hope )

#9 rogerh00

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

Right now the trend is to move out of Florida to Tennessee.  They're called "half backs."   The property tax and home insurance rates are out of control in Florida.
In the bag:
Ping G10 v2 HL
Wishon 515 3W
TE Exotics CB2 Hybrid 19º/22º/25º-GD-Xquad
5-GW Titleist 704 CB TTDG R300
Wishon PCF Micro 56º, rifle spinner
Ping G2 Anser

#10 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

Originally posted by NoPro Hey ....  come on down .....!
Possibly by the end of the week I may be (back) down there looking for a house.  We'll see. So....where should I golf?  Gotta have a range, I'm a range rat.  Gotta have an Edwin Watts nearby, I'm a club-ho.  Gotta have a short game facility (chipping green/bunker/putting works for me) cuz I'm a nerd. -mini

Ping Pickemup L 48"

#11 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

down arounf that area is the majority of courses you've seen mentioned on this site several times. As far as Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, Discount Golf shops etc  etc ...are all down that way. ( Kissimee is south of Orlando ) http://floridagolfmagazine.com/floridagolfcourses/

#12 cjcdaman

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Originally posted by rogerh00 Right now the trend is to move out of Florida to Tennessee.  They're called "half backs."   The property tax and home insurance rates are out of control in Florida.
Not necessarily from Florida to TN. From Florida to anywhere that has mild winters. I'm quite happy here in Wilmington, NC. Love the Beach!
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7263/cowbell2pl6.gif

#13 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

I assume your looking at the Kissimee area because of OIA ?? ... Check out Lake Mary / Sanford area if you need and airport. Payne Stewarts plane took off from Sanford ... and I've met student pilots that are going through flight training I believe of the G4's. Deland ( closer to Daytona ) has a nice airport. But I don't know if Jets operate from there.

#14 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

Originally posted by NoPro I assume your looking at the Kissimee area because of OIA ?? ... Check out Lake Mary / Sanford area if you need and airport. Payne Stewarts plane took off from Sanford ... and I've met student pilots that are going through flight training I believe of the G4's. Deland ( closer to Daytona ) has a nice airport. But I don't know if Jets operate from there.
OIA?  Orlando International? It's possible that I may be moving to ISM (Kissimee) because of a training contract. Are you referring to FlightSafety for the G4 training? -mini
Ping Pickemup L 48"

#15 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

I just flashed on the web site you have there and assumed it delt with flight training and that you where looking to get close to an airport for that reason. Sorry if I misunderstood. I admitt I didin't READ the web site.

#16 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Originally posted by NoPro I just flashed on the web site you have there and assumed it delt with flight training and that you where looking to get close to an airport for that reason. Sorry if I misunderstood. I admitt I didin't READ the web site.
ah...yeah, it's a flight training academy.  Actually we're looking at several buyers (something we hadn't considered when we opened) and one is in the Kissimee area and willing to keep me on if they buy the company. The other (TN) was an air charter company. -mini
Ping Pickemup L 48"

#17 NoPro

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:01 AM

Here in Florida we are noted for the number of students that wish to learn flying .....not takeing off or landing .... just flying ... I find that strange ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users