Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

E-Bay help!!!!!!!!!!

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bertie Wooster

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

I'm very knew to E-bay but I have had a few good purchases recently (just signed up to e-bay/paypal about a month ago).  Tonight I went to log in as usual and I entered my user name and password, but instead of taking me to "my e-bay," I was taken to a screen that said "Attention!!  Due to increased fraudulent activity on e-bay..." and then it went on to ask for the most unbelievably private data you could imagine.  Name, date of birth, social security number, credit card number and PIN number, bank account number and routing number.  The URL address seemed legit though, but there is no way I'm ever going to provide that information.  Has anyone ever had a similar experiece with e-bay??  I'm really freaked out right now as I feel that someone has hacked into my account.  Thanks in advance.

#2 jcl1320186845

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

URL can't be legit. What URL are you logging in to? No way does Ebay/Paypal ask for your SSN or need it. You may want to Email them directly to find out what's going on.

#3 CamdenLions

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

Just say no.  Someone probably hacked the main gateway and intercepted the ebay log-in screen in an attempt to gather your info.  ebay has no reason to obtain a lot of the information you were requested to provide.
Coach Tub -  Best Damn Coach In The Land! Go Tigers!

#4 rontom

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

Copy the letter and sent it to http://www.spoof@ebay.com.  They will verify to you that it's fraudulent.

#5 anserman2

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:03 AM

Read up on this stuff. Lots of sneaky people out there and most of it starts from responding to emails. eBay and PayPal will never ask for your password. Never log into eBay from an email. Never login in response to an email telling your account is closed. The latest spoof that got me a bit freaked out was an email from PayPay thanking me for my latest purchase of 10 cell phones. (Which is weird to begin with) At the bottom is a link with a note from the scammers saying if I want to dispute this purchase, log on here.

r5 tp 9.5º Diamana 83R
SS03 14º S
MD 21º Irod S, or SS03 19º S
LT2s 4-PW T-Step S
Vokey Satin 52, SM56.14 (bent 55º) 60V (bent 59º)
Del Mar 3.5
Nike Super Soft
Hndcp, an ugly 5

#6 Reid

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

Agreed, you have to be very careful that you're headed to the right address.   The email and/or website address can look legitimate,  but if you check the address properties, you can often see how it links to an outside site.   Never trust any of the "verify your account" spam emails that you might receive, even if they look legit from Paypal or Ebay.  They never are, and they usually link to Asian or ex-Soviet states where these types of scams proliferate.   I'd check make sure you can log on to Paypal properly and keep a close eye out for any transactions that aren't your own.

#7 Jim Clark

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

As others stated, NEVER click on a link in an email from Ebay or Paypal. Also, NEVER reply to the email. If you think maybe it was legit (MOST are not), go to their site and log on and see what's up.

#8 cjcdaman

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

It clearly states that Ebay will never ask you for that type of info. Don't fall for it.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7263/cowbell2pl6.gif

#9 JonnyGolf

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

This is kind of technical, but most likely your HOSTS file or your favorites list has been hacked.  In any case, it means your computer has been compromised.  I recommend downloading an application like Norton Antivirus and doing a complete scan on your system.  You can download the trial version if you don't want to pay for the product. http://shop.symantecstore.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=symnahho&id=ProductDetailsTrialPage&productID=59771400 You can tell what has been impacted by typing in "www.ebay.com".  If you go to that phishing site again, then your HOSTS file has been changed.  You will need to delete all entries in it except for: "127.0.0.1       localhost" You can find it by searching for "HOSTS" on your computer. Write me back if you have any questions.

#10 btkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

If you're just a little bit technical, this might help.  Use the Firefox browser (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) and install an extension called Shazou.  This allows you to see exactly where the website is hosted, and if it's anywhere other than San Jose, CA, you have a problem. And, definitely follow JonnyGolf's suggestion.

#11 Sardonicus

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

Originally posted by cjcdaman It clearly states that Ebay will never ask you for that type of info. Don't fall for it.
Cjcdaman, at the risk of sounding culturally deficient, who is dat?:)

#12 Bertie Wooster

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Thanks to all for responding.  I tried a million antivirus remedies but nothing would fix the problem.  In the end our computer ended up in permanent startup.  I mean it would startup, look like it was about to get to Windows, and then restart.  Over and over and over again.  It's a very old computer that was a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down.  I'm certian that I could get it up and running again, but I don't want to spend one more second of my time or one more penny to get it to work.  It's dead to me.  I pulled the plug last night (after a few harsh words), and so we're now in the market for a new computer.  I'm thinking Apple, but I'm not sure.  I need something, though.  I miss playing Hold 'Em!!!!!   We recently moved and we went from dialup to DSL, and I just don't think I had the proper antivirus protection.  The DSL provider (AT&T/Yahoo) had an antivirus thing as part of the package, so I thought that was all I needed.  It didn't seem to want to co-exist with Norton, so I removed Norton.  Then once all this happened I tried to reinstall Norton but it didn't take.  Anyway, it's a moot point now because I've made up my mind.  New town.  New golf clubs.  New furniture.  New computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users