Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

Choking up on all clubs - Kim and Garcia

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 mcsju

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

I did a search for this but didn't get any hits.  What do you all think about the way AK and Sergio choke up on all of their clubs.  AK seems to grip his driver mid-way down.  Any idea what the supposed benefit is?  I always went under the assumption that choking down would cut off distance b/c it would shorten the swing arc, but those 2 hammer the ball. Just want to see if anyone has any insight/opinions on this.

#2 bma725

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Not sure about Garcia, but Kim does it because he's been playing that way all his life.  He grew up with clubs that were too long for him and rather than having them cut down, he just choked down on them to make them fit. He got comfortable doing it that way, so he still does it today.

#3 mcsju

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Thx.  So Kim's clubs are a bit over length (5 iron longer than standard 37.75/38 inches)?

#4 MarkCPA

GO Advanced Members

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationCollierville, Tennessee

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

Thx.  So Kim's clubs are a bit over length (5 iron longer than standard 37.75/38 inches)?
That was my first thought as well.    I don't know Kim's height, but he doesn't appear to be towering over anyone.     The PGA website has him at 5'10".   I've stood next to Garcia back in June when he played here in Memphis.    I'd say he's 5'9" at best.    The PGA website has him at 5'10", 160 lbs.
Titleist 910D2 10.5* - Fuji Motore F3 stiff
Titleist 913F 15* - Diamana S+ stiff
Titleist 913H 19* - Diamana S+ stiff
Titleist AP1 irons, 4-PW - DG XP300 shafts
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 58*
Ping Anser 2 TR 33" putter
Wilson Staff FG Tour golf ball

#5 brannyxx

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

i was wondering the same exact thing.  but i am sure that AK is shorter than sergio.  I think at best he is 5'8 and those clubs can be US standard length for him to have a grip down like he was doing.  I am sure that you wouldn't purposely get extensions to cater for your grip down.

HKGA H'cap: 7.4

Driver - **Just Arrived : Nike SQ TOUR 9.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Blue Board 83grams X Flex D4sw, 44.75inches.  GP Dual Durometer Cord 53grams.
3W - *NEW* Titleist 906H2 15* - X100 42.5in
3I-PW - Callaway X-18 Pro Series DGSS X-100 (minus 1 inch)
Wedges: 52* NIKE SV
56* **N

#6 homosap

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

I play all my irons and a rescue club at 1 inch over standard, my driver is the Cobra L4 with the stock shaft, so quite long as well. Over the last 3 weeks I've been experimenting with choking down a bit and I've found:- accuracy goes up confidence goes up so I seem to be hitting longer you need to be aware of your setup, I found I needed to focus on staying down to the shot more choking right down, ie near enough on the metal, makes for a great knock down shot when you're between clubs I think I may have had a tendency to hold the club too near the butt anyway. Looking at some pics I see a lot of guys have more of the butt showing above the grip than I had. Since doing this I've played 6 rounds of golf, I'm a 10 handicap. I've broken 80 for 5 of the rounds with 75 being the best. It may be just in the mind but it's been my best ball striking for a long while.
Al 

#7 brannyxx

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

let say your swing weight is D3. When you choke down doesn't that come down quite a bit?  i would imagine swing weight by choking down that much would knock it down to something around D0. in which case, you lose all feel of the club head? Don't know, just pontificating....
HKGA H'cap: 7.4

Driver - **Just Arrived : Nike SQ TOUR 9.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Blue Board 83grams X Flex D4sw, 44.75inches.  GP Dual Durometer Cord 53grams.
3W - *NEW* Titleist 906H2 15* - X100 42.5in
3I-PW - Callaway X-18 Pro Series DGSS X-100 (minus 1 inch)
Wedges: 52* NIKE SV
56* **N

#8 homosap

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:47 AM

My swing weights are all D8/9 so possibly the choke down is just making them more manageable for me with my elbow issues(I go in for elbow surgery tomorrow). Maybe when I'm back to strength I might find the choking down makes the clubs feel too light. Regardless the choke down, and up a club, shot for approaches when between clubs will be staying as part of my game. I've peppered so many pins, compared to my usual game, that I now find myself looking to club up and choke down at any given opportunity. As with any aspect of golf you can only know what works for you by experimentation, we're all different.
Al 

#9 nellaad

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationMurphy, Tx

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

I choke down on all my clubs too. I do it because I have better control of the clubs and it also helps me to extend my arms which result in better, more solid contact with the ball. My hands are in the center of the grip. I don't have great clubhead speed but striking it true helps me to get distance. I figured this all out for my self about 2 years ago and it really helps.
"I golf, therefore I curse !"

Adams Speedline 9064LS 8.5* w/Aldila Rip Alpha
Sonartec SS-07 3wd w/Pershing 75
Sonartec SS-07 4wd w/Pershing 75
Adams A12 Idea Pro 20* & 23* Hybrids
Adams Idea Pro Black 26* Hybrid
Adams Idea Black CB2  KBS Tour 90 (6-PW)
Titleist SM4 52* & 58* Wedges DG Spinner
Guerin Rife Black Aussie mallett

#10 tncup

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

Kim has stated his irons are 1/2 inch short of standard. whether that is from a standard 38" 5 iron or 37.5 " 5 iron he didn't say. but for sure, his 5 iron is no longer than 37.5".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users