Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

What effect does extending a shaft have on lie?

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruceg

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

What effect on lie does lengthening, or shortening, a shaft have?  It seems to me that extending the length of a shaft by 1 inch would require you to stand further from the ball, thereby creating a flatter swing, and also causing the heel of the club to dig (this last thought is a no-brainer, so we can ignore it).  You also would have to bend your club some amount flatter to compensate for this. Does this sound right to you?  Or, is it just counter-intuitive, and I'm way off base? Thanks for your opinions!

[size=99px]

#2 skinkman

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

that sounds right..same reason you have to stand farther away with your driver. but it all depends on how long you re lengthening the shaft..not sure what impact a 1/2 inch would make..an inch on the hand would probably require a bend at the hosel for ideal lie angle
"If you step on a pile of poop, wash your feet and keep on walking. You don’t cut them off."

#3 MarkCPA

GO Advanced Members

• GO Marshals
  • PipPip
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationCollierville, Tennessee

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

I believe you are correct.      The toe of the extended club is going to stick up in the air after extending the shaft.     You would need to have the club bent flat to compensate for the additional length.
Titleist 910D2 10.5* - Fuji Motore F3 stiff
Titleist 913F 15* - Diamana S+ stiff
Titleist 913H 19* - Diamana S+ stiff
Titleist AP1 irons, 4-PW - DG XP300 shafts
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 58*
Ping Anser 2 TR 33" putter
Wilson Staff FG Tour golf ball

#4 bruceg

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the input.  I'm only asking because a colleague and I were discussing this the other day, and we've had the same discussion before.  He contends that lengthening a shaft causes a more upright angle.  I remember reading a similar post a couple of years back, but I couldn't find it. Anyone have a differing opinion?  I'd sure like to hear the other side of this, backed with a little proof. Thanks!
[size=99px]

#5 chilton00

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationVan Vleck Texas

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

careful how you word it!!  Lengthing the shaft will cause the club to play AS IF the lie angle was more upright for a given golfer, it actually does nothing to the lie angle.  if a standard lie angle fit you but you wanted to extend the club you would then have to bend the lie angle flat to get the lie angle to fit your original specs

R7 460 tour 9.5*
Talor MAde 15* V-Steel
Nike 24* hybrid MFS 85 HB
R7 TP Project X 6.0 4-PW
Taylor Made R.A.C. TP black 52*, 56*
Taylor Made Imola 8 33"

<a href="mailto:jdwilson@warpspeed1.net">jdwilson@warpspeed1.net</a>

#6 bruceg

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

... Lengthing the shaft will cause the club to play AS IF the lie angle was more upright for a given golfer...
Can you explain this a little more?  I'm not quite grasping this concept. Are you saying that because the golfer would have to stand farther away from the ball, the heel would dig?  I can see this, because if the lie has to be bent flatter to fix this problem, then the lie must be too upright.
[size=99px]

#7 chilton00

GO Advanced Members

• GO Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationVan Vleck Texas

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

... Lengthing the shaft will cause the club to play AS IF the lie angle was more upright for a given golfer...
Can you explain this a little more?  I'm not quite grasping this concept. Are you saying that because the golfer would have to stand farther away from the ball, the heel would dig?  I can see this, because if the lie has to be bent flatter to fix this problem, then the lie must be too upright.
    Correct.  Lets say you are a golfer that uses a standard lenght set of irons.  You have a very consistant swing and hit it pure most of the time but would like to gain a little extra yardage.  You can extend your club by a little bit.  When you do this the lie angle will play more upright because the extra shaft length will cause you to stand further away from the ball, you would then have to bend the club head flatter to achieve the same "effective" lie angle you had before you lengthened the club.  Lets say your 5 iron is standard length and the lie angle is perfect for you if you shorten the club you would have to bend the iron more upright to achieve the same "effective" lie angle as standard   Also to add more confusion!  A club being to upright does not necessarily cause a shot to go left (for right handed clubs) becasue of the heel digging in.  If a club is to upright the actual face of the club will point left of your target.  This is true on any club in your bag! Plus the more loft a club has the more offline the face will point due to improper lie angle, actual or effective.  If you think about it your 3 iron is longer than your 4 iron and the 3 iron lie is a bit flatter than that of th 4.  If you lengthened your 4 iron .5" then it you "effectively" have a more upright lie angle   You can do a little experiment yourself to see how all of this works and relates.  take a wedge and stand it up in front of a wall with the face aiming at the wall and the club  soled flat on the floor (simulating a correct lie angle at impact).  If the leading edge is soled evenly on the floor and you start lowering the shaft along the wall down towards the floor notice how the lower you go (effectively making the lie angle more upright) the further left of your original aiming point the face is aiming.  If you go to an extreme and do this test with a 90* lob wedge (yes I know, no such animal) you would notice that when the shaft is laying flat on the floor and the club face leading edge is still against the wall that the face of the club will actually be aimed 90* left of your original target.   I wish i could remember what the actual number is as far as how many degrees a club should be bent per half inch of length adjusted.  I believe it is 1 degree of lie angle adjustment for each half inch of length adjustment.  granted this is just a genreal guidline on amount to be adjusted.
R7 460 tour 9.5*
Talor MAde 15* V-Steel
Nike 24* hybrid MFS 85 HB
R7 TP Project X 6.0 4-PW
Taylor Made R.A.C. TP black 52*, 56*
Taylor Made Imola 8 33"

<a href="mailto:jdwilson@warpspeed1.net">jdwilson@warpspeed1.net</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users