Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfOpinions such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfOpinions account here.

USGTF and other teaching certifications vs. PGA status?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 CT golf fan

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationHouston area, Texas

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:03 AM

Do you put any stock in these other teaching certifications in choosing an instructor? I see USGTF as a sponsor here, and I first heard about them many years ago.

2007 GO Masters Pool winner!

"Every day you miss practicing, it will take one day longer to get good."  -Ben Hogan

#2 minitour

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I'm more concerned about the person, their ability to teach, their ability to teach to ME and their knowledge on the subject than what organizations they belong to.  USGTF, PGA, NRA, NAACP, I don't really care. -mini
R11 - 10.5* - Open - Dromos S
R11 - 15.5* - Neutral - Dromos S
R11 - 18.5* - Neutral - RIP S
R11 - 25.5* - Open - RIP S
S56 - 5-9 Iron - Blue Dot - S300
Vokey SM CC - 48/52 (S300) - 56/60 (S200)
Ping Pickemup L 48"

#3 golfpros1

GO Advanced Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

class a pga professional is someone that has paid some dues.  it takes a few years, however, being one doesn't make you a good teacher.  USGTF and other similar teaching focused programs produce people that want to do one thing... teach golf.  In my opinion, it takes more than a piece of paper to make someone a good teacher.  I'd look at reputation in the area, references/testimonials, and if you can, try to get within ear shot of a lesson to get a grip on their style.  If they pass the pre tests, get one lesson to experience it first hand.... and just one.  Don't sign up for a series of lessons without some first hand proof it's going to work for you.
Adams Golf 9032LD 7.5* 48" House Of Forged X
Macgregor Eye-o-Matic Jack Nicklaus Persimmon
Bobby Jones 20*
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-AW Project X
Nike TW 56 & 60
Titleist ProV1x

golf jobs | golf jobs

#4 DNote4

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

In my experience certification is vastly over rated. Find someone who comes highly recommend from people you trust. Its also very important in my opinion that you feel comfortable with a teachers personality and style of teaching.

#5 moe59x3

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have been a USGTF member for 9 years now. It's has helped me get my foot in the door in some nice golf courses for employment. However the PGA still has a good foot hold on the industry, though not as stong as it was ten years ago.

To help my career I thought I might also become PGA Teaching Professional so as to open a few more doors. I took there little rules test, passed the P.A.T. only to be floored at the cost and the amount of time required to maybe get some type of certification. What a scam. Were talking Thousands of dollars and 2 years or more of my life working for peanuts to maybe get a certification of some kind. I decided to forget it. I will open the doors myself with my skills and knowledge of the game and the USGTF

I agree with those who believe that you don't need a certification or any peice of paper to make you a good teacher. hard work, good customer service and a thurst to keep learning about the game will go along way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users